The NIGP Governing Board established the NIGP Certification Commission as an independent authority that makes all essential certification decisions related to all NIGP-CPP certification schemes. These decisions are made without any influence by any other individual or business or entity within or outside of NIGP.
Purpose and Powers
The Commission is specifically empowered to:
- Oversee and monitor the objectives, performance and results of the NIGP certification program.
- Establish and monitor the NIGP certification schemes and scheme-related policies related to: (a) eligibility requirements for certification; (b) eligibility requirements to test; (c) requirements for re-certification; and (d) provisions and criteria for suspension or revocation
- Provide direction and oversight to the NIGP Certification Test Development Committee, the NIGP Practice Analysis Panel and the NIGP Standard Setting Panel.
- Address any candidate, credential holder, or volunteer ethics issues as they arise.
- Serve as the final review board for appeals and disciplinary actions (suspensions and revocations) related to the NIGP certification program.
- The NIGP Certification Commission is an independent body within the NIGP legal, non-profit structure. The Commission is empowered to take actions in accordance with the expressed authority granted by the NIGP Governing Board. The NIGP Certification Commission independently makes essential certification decisions related to all NIGP certification schemes. These decisions are made under no influence by any other individual or business entity within or outside of NIGP.
- This independent structure within a single non-profit association mirrors the structure followed by APICS, ISM, NCMA, and SCMA where the educational programs are distinctly separate from the certification programs through appropriate firewalls. And this arrangement complies with ANSI standards for professional certification programs. There is a substantial benefit for placing professional certification within the overall strategic mission of NIGP.